In 2013, Ocean Energy Europe published its Industry Vision Paper, which called for the creation of a stakeholder lead forum "which would steer progress at EU level and deliver a united strategy" for ocean energy.
In 2014, the European Commission created the Ocean Energy Forum.
The main output of the Forum, the Draft Strategic Roadmap, The Draft Strategic Roadmap, published at Ocean Energy Europe’s Annual Conference in Dublin in October 2015, proposed 6 actions to facilitate the emergence of a market for ocean energy in Europe. These actions are:
- To create an EU-wide phase-gate approach for technology development
- Identify the most suitable sites for early deployments and support pre-commercial farms there
- Create a packaged approach for financing farms
- Create an EU insurance fund to underwrite project risks
- Increase collaboration to reduce costs and plan deployments
- Create an integrated consenting programme
Ocean Energy Europe is working with the EU and Member State governments to implement these actions, thereby creating a market for ocean energy in Europe, and opening up export markets around the world.
A final Ocean Energy Forum Roadmap will be published in November, when the industry meets for OEE2016 in Brussels.
For further information, visit the Ocean Energy Forum section of the European Commission's website.