EUSEW 2020 Side Event – New horizons: Europe driving ocean energy development around the world
Date : 19/06/2020
Time : 15:00 - 16:15
Europe has been a pioneer in the development of ocean energy technologies. The vast majority of capacity is installed in Europe and most projects around the globe use European technology. However, the rest of the world is catching up, as Canada, the US and China develop their own markets and new domestic champions begin to emerge.
Now is the time to act to make the most of Europe’s first-mover advantage, both at home and abroad. This webinar aimed to concretely address this issue by providing useful examples and feedback to policy makers and other stakeholders.
ETIP Ocean also released its new Strategic Research and Innovation Agenda during this webinar.
The recording of this webinar is available below.
- Patrick Child, Deputy Director-General, DG-RTD, European Commission
- Rémi Gruet, CEO, Ocean Energy Europe
- Roland Roesch, Deputy Director, Innovation and Technology Centre, International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA)
- Drew Baxland, Director of Turbine and Engineering, SIMEC Atlantis Energy
- Martin Edlund, CEO, Minesto
- Sarah Thomas, Project Manager, DP Energy
- Eric van der Eijnden, CEO, Tidal Bridge
- Launch of the ETIP Ocean Strategic Research and Innovation Agenda
The Strategic Research and Innovation Agenda presents the priority RD&I actions that must be focused upon in the years ahead in order for ocean energy to meet its SET Plan targets.
- Setting the scene: Ocean energy around the world
Presentation of the state-of-the-art of ocean energy on an international level, with a particular emphasis on potential markets outside Europe.
- Case studies: European technological leadership
Technology and project developers will present European projects in Japan, Taiwan, Indonesia and Canada. Presentations will focus on the export potential of these countries, and speakers will share their experiences of taking European technology further afield.
- Discussion: How to maintain Europe’s leadership on a global level?
The moderator will invite the speakers and audience to consider the potential of ocean energy for Europe, and how best to stay at the cutting edge of technology development.